This week's look down the lens at years gone by sees us focus on Havering's cinemas.

From The Odeon on South Street in Romford, photographed in 1914, to The Capitol Cinema in St Mary's Lane in Upminster in 1929, we have selected photos of a range of venues that you may remember or have visited down the years.

Take a look below at vintage photographs of cinemas taken across Havering from 1914 to 1982.

Hornchurch Cinema in Station Lane circa 1930

Romford Recorder: Hornchurch Cinema on Station Road circa 1930Hornchurch Cinema on Station Road circa 1930 (Image: Havering Libraries-Local Studies)

The Station Lane cinema, which later became Queen's Theatre, was opened by the Hornchurch Cinema Company on December 8 in 1913, just before the First World War , according to Havering Libraries.

Lost Zepplin, a 1929 "talking picture" is one of the films advertised in this photo.

Factors, including the war which reportedly contributed to ill financial fortunes for the cinema, resulted in its permanent closure in 1934.

RELATED LISTICLE: Romford and Hornchurch pubs in vintage photographs

The Odeon in South Street, Romford, in April 1982

Romford Recorder: The Odeon on South Street, Romford, in 1982The Odeon on South Street, Romford, in 1982 (Image: Havering Libraries-Local Studies)

The Odeon, formerly The Havana Cinema, opened on January 29 in 1936, according to Havering Libraries.

In 1937 it was sold to Eastern Cinemas Limited, but it stayed as The Havana until the 1940s.

It operated as The Havana Cinema until 1943 when Odeon took it over and re-named it.

Towers Cinema in Hornchurch High Street - opening night in 1935

Romford Recorder: Towers Cinema on Hornchurch High Street in 1935Towers Cinema on Hornchurch High Street in 1935 (Image: Havering Libraries-Local Studies)

This photo shows opening night on August 3 in 1935, according to Havering Libraries.

It seated 2,000 people and included a ballroom, cafe and car park for 1,000 cars.

Towers was taken over by Odeon in 1939, having been part of Eastern Cinemas Limited, and renamed in 1943. 

It later became a Top Rank Club in 1973.

 Picture Pavilion in South Street, Romford circa 1914

Romford Recorder: Picture Pavilion on South Street, Romford, circa 1914Picture Pavilion on South Street, Romford, circa 1914 (Image: Havering Libraries-Local Studies)

This postcard shows Picture Pavilion to the right hand side, most likely Romford's first cinema, according to Havering Libraries.

Frank Waring clothes shop can be seen to the left of the cinema.

Havering Libraries added that Picture Pavilion was replaced by Plaza Super Cinema which was built further along South Street.

It was renamed The Gaumont in 1950.

The Rex in Collier Row Lane circa 1959

Romford Recorder: The Rex, Collier Row Lane, circa 1959The Rex, Collier Row Lane, circa 1959 (Image: Havering Libraries-Local Studies)

The Rex opened in April 1939, according to Havering Libraries, which was described as a luxury modern cinema.

It was designed by architect Eric Normal Bailey, who also worked at at least 11 cinemas in London and the south east, according to Havering Libraries.

The first film shown there was The Citadel and in the 1950s as part of a bid to keep it open, The Rex turned to horror or "risque" films.

But on June 27 in 1959, The Rex had its final screening and around 1964 it was opened as a supermarket, before being sold to Tesco in 1968.

The Capitol Cinema in St Mary's Lane, Upminster, in 1929

Romford Recorder: The Capitol Cinema on St Mary's Lane in Upminster, 1929The Capitol Cinema on St Mary's Lane in Upminster, 1929 (Image: Havering Libraries-Local Studies)

A busy Capitol Cinema can be seen here, which was showing musical Sunny Side Up and film Honky Tonk.

It opened on October 10 in 1929 and had an oak-panelled pay box with a mosaic-paved floor, according to Havering Libraries.

Like others in Havering, it was bought by Odeon Theatres and renamed in 1946. It closed as a cinema in 1961.